EPSHS School Council
Everton Park State High School is an Independent Public School. We are a member of an elite group of Government schools which will be administrated by a School Council.
The School Council monitors the school's strategic direction, which includes:
- approving plans and policies of the school of a strategic nature and other documents
- affecting strategic matters, including the annual estimate of revenue and expenditure for the school
- monitoring the implementation of plans, policies and other documents
- advising the school's Principal about strategic matters.
Our School Council was formed in early 2016 with an emphasis in promoting our school in the wider community to ensure the school continues to grow. Education is a major focus for parents and communities and Everton Park State High School needs a strong and committed School Council to drive through the strategic agenda and vision of Creating Bright Futures for all students.
Our aim as a School Council is to work on our strategic plan goals. In addition the school council works towards promoting the school’s reputation as a great school in the wider community. We are looking to grow the work of our school and business and community partnerships.
School Council Constitution
The Council must have regard to the documents listed in Schedule 1 of the School Council Constitution in performing its functions.
The Council must perform its functions in a way that achieves the best learning outcomes for the school's students and may only perform its functions in relation to the school for which it is established. The Council is not part of the Department of Education and Training, is not a body corporate and does not have a separate legal identity.
The Council may not:
- interfere with the management by the school's Principal of the day-to-day operations of the school and its curriculum; or
- make operational decisions about the use of teaching or learning resources at the school; or
- make decisions about the individual teaching style used, or to be used, at the school; or
- make a decision that is contrary to law or a written policy of the department; or
- have control of funds; or
- enter into contracts; or
- acquire, hold, dispose of or deal with property; or
- sue or be sued.
The Council consists of student, staff, parent and community representatives. The Principal and the Parent and Citizens Association President are automatic members of the Council.
School Council Representatives
Sue Wallace - Principal – Official Member, appointed 2016
- Appointed as Principal in 2009.
- 30 years in education, 10 as Principal.
- Also interested in developing leadership across the school
- Values the Council as it brings parents, students and staff together for the benefit of the school.
Mary-Ann Strelow – Appointed Member & Chairperson, appointed 2019
- Executive Director - Fleetcrew and Alderley Automotive
- Chairman of the Community Liaison Committee - NOW Business Network inc
- Committed to working towards building opportunities for the local community
- Values the Council's unified approach to creating stronger communities and furthering opportunities
Robyn Backer – Appointed Member, appointed 2019
- Employed for 20 years with the Brisbane City Council in multi-disciplinary Marketing and Communication areas specialising in stakeholder and community engagement.
- Business Founder of Busy Connecting specialising in business growth and development strategies for SMEs.
- Educational background in Business; Marketing and Communications; and Property Economics.
- Held executive positions on School and Sporting Committees as well as a passionate volunteer for over 35 years with many organisations supporting domestic violence victims, homelessness and the environment.
- I believe a School Council's role is to work with key stakeholders to develop policy, planning and procedures which will ensure the best outcomes for the students.
Gavin Whitlock – Appointed Member, 2020 -
- Owner/ Financial Adviser - Insight Investment & Retirement Services
- President – EPSHS P&C (2020 - )
- Secretary – Middlemount Milieu Body Corporate
- Committed to building a productive partnership with EPSHS Executive, staff, students, and the community to achieve the best possible outcome for all students.
Student Representatives - Ava Campbell and Solomon Valentine
Teacher Representative - Jenny Gayton